Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cambodia Trip: Phnom Penh

Our home base was in the capital, Phnom Penh.








Somatra and I are on the roof of Phnom Penh Friends church.








This is Chenda and Rattanak. They came to the US earlier this year so we got to know them very well. They came for Rattanak's heart surgery. It was SO great to see how big Rattanak has gotten.




We traveled mostly was by toot toot.





I appreciated the much desired breeze in the intense heat. Because the driving culture is different, I would NOT want to drive here. Even riding on a moto can be scary but I'd do it again.


We shopped A LOT! I actually got tired of shopping by the end of the trip.

But there were so many good deals because Somatra enjoyed bargaining, I couldn't resist.







Other highlights:
  • A difficult but important visit was to Toul Sleng and Choeung Ek (The Killing Fields). Toul Sleng was a high school that was turned into a torture/prison during the Khmer Rouge. Choeung Ek, was one of the many killing fields in Cambodia. It was eye opening because my friends' parents/family survived this... There were many tears shed during this...
  • We visited Cambodian Christian Arts Ministry (CCAM) and they did a performance for us. Its a boarding school for orphans. It kinda reminded me of a professional level Kids Club. :) http://www.ccamvision.org/

No comments: